[Amps] questions on my tranformer test

Will Matney craxd at engineer.com
Tue Jun 14 00:03:41 EDT 2005

Ken, the watt rating can be determined by the core size and then the current found from that. But, that dont hold true if they didn't wind the coil with the right size wire for its duty cycle. The only way you can tell for sure is find the wire size used in the coil. If you knew what the wire insulation was, so to know its temperature rating, you could snake a  thermostat wire down in the center of the winding and run it under load to see what the coils innards are heating to. Or do the hope-so test and see how hot the core and coil gets by touch which isn't accurate. If its right for the load, the core and coil should just be warm to the touch, and not close to hot enough as you couldn't keep your hand on it. 180 degrees is way too hot for any to run. Something in the order of 100 degrees to maybe 110 is about maximum for one in open air.

Best,

Will