[Amps] Magnetic shielding 2

Borislav Trifonov bdt at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 20 00:31:22 EDT 2005

I just want to let you guys know you've helped out a lot with the
various suggestions, even though I'm not in radio, so I'm very grateful.

OK, say I was to start from my requirements and fitting a transformer to
the application, instead of the other way around.  Now, my load is DC
plasma modulated at audio frequencies (above 500 Hz).  I think I
mentioned this on this list under another topic.

Here's a simulation of my current power supply with the expected load
(represented by the current sink): http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~trifonov/hv.png

The transformer is just the two coupled inductors, as simulation is too
slow with more complex transformer models.  I've simulated the lowest
frequency I expect to draw, 500 Hz.  Total (for both channels) is 380 mA
sine peak (not peak to peak as LTSpice uses peak), over a 400 mA DC
offset.  I need at least 2 kV after the filter, with a bit of leeway for
inserting a regulator.  The rectifiers I have drop about 15 V each.  The
choke in the diagram is 4 H (estimated by calculation, as I wound it by
hand on a large core).

So my first question is about something I don't understand at all.  When
I ask the simulator for the RMS through the current source, it says
478.43 mA.  However, when I ask for the RMS through the secondary
(represented by the second inductor), I get 783.31 mA.  Sorry if this is
a stupid question, but why is that?  Should I assume that the second
number is the actual rating I should be looking for in a transformer, or
is LTSPice giving me erroneous numbers here?

I'm waiting for a 2 kW industrial control transformer to come in the
mail.  If the secondary 120 V windings are not on top of the 600 V
primary, I could rip off the 600 V winding, rewind for 2 kV and drive it
backwards.  But before I do this, I'm wondering if the smaller MOT I'm
using right now is big enough to be rewound in the above application.
When I multiplied the secondary current waveform by the voltage across
it, LTSpice says an average of 939.97 W, so I figure the MOT core should
handle it.  But again, I don't know if I can trust those numbers to be
even approximately close.

The MOT is 16 lbs.  Core (center beam) crossection is 41x54 mm^2, or
3.43 in^2.  Using 12000 G in the formula, I'm calculating 189 primary
turns.  Currently primary is 14 AWG and secondary is 18 AWG, with space
left from the removed shunts.  Assuming the RMS current LTSpice is
giving me on the primary, 13 A, is correct, then I should be using AWG 9
which would fill up the whole MOT core space...what the...  I hope I'm
mistaken in these calculations, or the 13 A is wrong (though it probably
isn't much smaller given MOTs have bad power factors).