[Amps] 220 amp power supply plugs

Joe Isabella n3ji at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 23 11:02:40 EDT 2005

The only "negative" (pun intended :-D  ) is that twist locks are fairly expensive compared with some of the other options.  With a call like W9*AC*, Paul should know his stuff -- I remain "neutral" on the subject...

(Sorry, couldn't resist!!)

Joe, N3JI

Paul Christensen <w9ac at arrl.net> wrote:
> I'm considering adding 220 in the shack in case I ever decided to buy
> something a little beefier output wise

Tom,

For the past fifteen years or so, I have been standardizing my own 240VAC
amp connections with twist-lock plugs and sockets. Home Depot carries the
Leviton brand but Hubbell, Pass & Seymour, and others make similar
commercial-quality hardware.

As Joe, pointed out, it would be wise to wire the shack with 4-wire 240VAC
service in the event you purchase an older amp that requires a
current-carrying 120 VAC neutral for the internal blower. Home Depot sells
both the 3 and 4-wire version of the 20 and 30-amp twist-lock style
hardware.

-Paul, W9AC