[Amps] close to off topic - how to read antenna R + jX ??

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Fri Mar 4 22:32:13 EST 2005

Dan Sawyer wrote:

> Well,
>
> Based on the replys I purchased an HP vector volt meter to measure
> antenna impedance.

I don't think that is a bad choice (I think it was me who oringallly
suggested it, so I've got to say that).

> 1. How do I use the vector volt meter in place of the above to read
> phase? The hookup is an RF generator, a coax feed line, and an
> antenna.  I would like to measure the antenna and ground charactoristics.

I would start by getting the manual - there must be dealers with them.
That will give you the accessories too, which you might want to purchase
- or make yourself and describe how to use it.  It will also describe
exactly how to use the instrument to do this. You might not be able to
download the manual on an old one, but a more modern one might well have
a downloadable manual.

I did it many years ago, but can't recall how, although my undergrad
degree project must have some details on it. I'll dig that out for you
and see what I can recall. I think I used a dual directional coupler to
sample the forward and reverse voltage. I suspect I used an open (180
degree reflection) and short (0 degree reflection) loads to calibrate
it. What you measure will not be 0 or 180 degrees. So you just add an
offset, to correct the measured values, from what you know to be true.
This would work for perfect couplers. As a starting point that will get
you going. Then look at correcting for inadequacies in the coupler later.

Also, take a look at some Agilent/HP application notes on vector network
analysers.

> 2. Is there a way to determine the antenna and ground charactoristics
> ffrom the shack with the vector volt meter?

All phase measurements *must* be made at a reference plane. So you need
to make the reference plane the end of the bit of coax you attach to.
Hence use a coupler in the shack, put the coax on the coupler, and
calibrate your  setup at the end of a bit of cable. Then attach that to
your anteanna.

> 3. I have not used Smith Charts. I assume they are part of the answer
> to 2.

On a Smith chart you can place a point at any impedance you want. The
centre is at 1+j0, but you can just multiply all values by any constant
(say 50), so the centre is a pure 50 Ohms. But if your antenna is 100 +
j25 (for example), you would plot that at point 2+j0.5. Then with a
compass at the centre, you can draw a circle showing all the impedances
that the will be seen for any length of coax. A half wave is all the way
around the Smith Chart, since any impedance (say 100+j25) will look
100+j25 if you have an integer multiples of a half wave.

A Smith Chart is useful for understanding things, but you are probably
better getting a bit of software to make life easier and more accurate.

I would be tempted to do some experiments at 70MHz or so, where you can
make up cables of various managable lengths using a cable of known
velocity factor, so you can compute (from the Smith chart or a bit of
software) how the impedance should change as you put longer or shorter
bits of coax in.  You can also assemble youself some loads where you can
calculate the impedance, so you can build confidence that you can make
measurements proplerly.

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
G8WRB