[Amps] Water cooled amp question

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Sat Mar 5 09:28:56 EST 2005

Here was from the net. Sorry for being off topic but couldnt resist.

>When was ethylene glycol first produced in the US?
>McElroy obtained a series of patents on ethylene glycol manufacture
>beginning in 1915. The Commercial Research Company developed the process
>to produce ethylene glycol to a semi commercial scale in 1917 and
>continued operation in Flushing, LI until 1920. While the use in
>antifreeze was foreseen at that time, the chief use was in the
>manufacturing of explosives. Dr Curme Jr. at the Mellon Institute in
>Pittsburgh, Pa developed in 1920 a commercial method to synthesize
>ethylene oxide, ethylene glycol and others for the Pres-O-Lite Company.
>The first commercial plant in the US was in South Charleston, Va. in 1925.
>US Patent 1,213,308 was issued to Hibbert for the use of ethylene glycol
>for lowering the freeze point of water in automobile cooling systems.
>Following its first manufacture of glycol in a large commercial scale in
>1925 Carbide sold small amounts of uninhibited glycol. Three years later
>research revealed that untreated ethylene glycol could become corrosive to
>the cooling system metals. From this time on the major participants in the
>antifreeze coolant market place adapted the corrosion package to meet the
>changing engine and cooling requirements.

>http://www.acustrip.com/faq.html

Actually it says South Charleston, Va. but that aint right, it's West Virginia. Why can't some folks see there's two Virginias and have been since the civil war! Over in WV, you ask them where they're from and they'll say, West-By-God-Virginia. Anyhow, it happened right after WWI so it shows the plant was there most likely before or right at WWI. That's when I remember them saying chemical valley came to life.

This is way off topic so I'll hush now. Just figured some would like to know some history on anti-freeze.

Best,

Will