[Amps] Diodes

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Sat Mar 5 11:52:58 EST 2005

I found out the hard way that 1A and 3A protection diodes can't handle a
3000vdc plate to ground arc. A good sized hv filter C, say 50uF, stores enough
energy to destroy them, even with a series 50 ohm current limiting resistor. A
6A diode does seem capable of discharging the energy without failure but that
is  where the rise time question comes in.

On the plus side, when the 1A and 3A diodes fail, it is in a shorted mode  so
at least the "delicates" are still protected!

There are many opportunities to under design in some of our projects!

73,
Gerald K5GW