[Amps] Water cooled amp question

Joe Subich, K4IK k4ik at subich.com
Sat Mar 5 17:16:37 EST 2005

> r at somis.org  writes:
>
> Peter --  Which is the better coolant, pure ethylene glycol or pure
> water?

Water (pure, distilled) has the higher specific heat (e.g., absorbs
more heat per unit) than ethylene glycol.  When I was running UHF
TV transmitters, in some cases where the heat exchanger was marginal
we had to dump the 50/50 glycol water mix in the spring and replace
it with pure water to get that last 10 to 20% cooling efficiency.

Unfortunately, since the transmitters were not operated 24 hours a
day we could not use distilled water all year (I had an owner try
it one year ... we lost the entire cooling system on both amplifier
chains when an untrained master control operator shut everything
down at sign off and the temperature dropped to 0 degrees F!).

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK