[Amps] Alpha 77Dx -Adding Grounded Grid Filament Choke

Tony King - W4ZT amps at w4zt.com
Sat Mar 5 20:23:03 EST 2005

Tomm,

I believe that what Rich is saying here is that we should treat the
GS-35B just as though it were a directly heated cathode when dealing
with the question of protection for the cathode and heater circuit.  A
bifiler choke with a center tapped filament transformer along with the
normal protection discussed for B- and metering are in order.  The
GS-35B, as Will said, is unique because of the internal connection
between the indirectly heated cathode and the filament. The choke should
be capable of not only handling the filament current plus the normal
plate current but also be sized up enough to handle a large glitch. This
is probably only a factor if building a single tube amp in which one
might be tempted to down size the choke because of the low filament
current requirement.

Our friends making triode boards all recognize the need for and
recommend protection against the B- rail soaring when we're visited by
the big glitch. Rich's suggestion for the series string of 200 peak amps
diodes is a common method for providing that protection.

73, Tony W4ZT