[Amps] water cooled...

Steve Thompson g8gsq at ic24.net
Sun Mar 6 11:02:35 EST 2005

Will Matney wrote:
> David,
>
> To me, what I think is needed is something that makes the coolent
> absorb heat more. We have to remember that ethylene glycol and other
> anti-freeze products are only for just that, keep it from freezing in
> the winter months.

It can depend on what you're trying to cool. If you have extreme
temperatures, such as in a cylinder head, you can get vapour cavitation with
water or water/glycol mixtures, which reduces cooling effect. Pure glycols
have lower specific heat and higher viscosity, but don't boil so readily,
especially at pressure.

I don't know if they reduce surface tension when mixed with water -
sometimes that might make a difference.

Steve