[Amps] nylons

Tomm Aldridge KD7QAE at ARRL.NET
Tue Mar 15 23:08:13 EST 2005

John,

In my opinion, the use of Nylon for general standoffs in an RF amplifier
is perfectly fine if a bit of thought is given as to the temperatuer
they will be exposed to.  I would not consider Nylon for a tank or plate
coil former nor for the building of capacitors (as a dielectric).  I use
a machined Nylon couple between my two roller inductors in my balanced
tuner and have seen no issues there.  Supporting your plate coil on
Nylon would not be advised due to both RF fields and high temperature.
Instead of ceramic standoffs consider G-10 glass reinforced epoxy stock.
  You can get it from McMaster Carr in a variety of shapes, including
tubes suitable for coil winding.

Tomm, KD7QAE
going down in frequency since 1975...10GHz >>> 1.8MHz