[Amps] nylons

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Mar 16 00:02:03 EST 2005

I don't think you would learn much by just throwing the
material into an amplifier chassis in some arbitrary fashion.
The thing you want to do is induce a significant amount of
displacement current in the material at the frequency of
interest. The easiest way to do that is to use the material
under test (MUT) as the dielectric in an RF capacitor.
You could excite the material in a well controlled way
placing the test capacitor in parallel with a 50 ohm load
and a shunt inductor and then adjusting the shunt inductor
to cancel the reactance of the test capacitor (e.g. parallel
resonance). Using this circuit, the excitation voltage
across the capacitor is easy to calculate [V=sqrt(Power*50)].
The power dissipated in the capacitor loss component would
be Pd = V^2/(Xc/D) where D is the dissipation factor of
the material.