[Amps] Running 3-500s upside down

R.Measures r at somis.org
Wed Mar 16 08:32:12 EST 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 5:14 AM, Pete Smith wrote:

> I understand that running 3-500s on their side risks internal shorts.

I ran a fil-on 24/7 test with a horizontal 3-500Z to determine filament
sag.  The sag rate was quite slow -- which was determined by grid-fil
BDV.   It appeared that rotating the tube 180º every 1000-hours or so
would have prevented any fil-grid clearance problem.
> need to do some trouble-shooting on my modified SB-220's relay/bias
> switching circuit, however, which would be much facilitated if I could
> key
> but not drive the amp (no RF out) with it upside down.  I can pull the
> tubes if I need to, of course, but would prefer not to.

Operating 3-500Zs base up or base down is okay.  In a SB-220, most of
the hot exhaust come out the left side of the cabinet, so upside down
should be no problem.