[Amps] 4CX1000A for SSB??

ad5gb ad5gb at myway.com
Fri Mar 18 15:33:36 EST 2005

I just found a chart that listed the distortion characteristics of varioius
tubes.  I was really disappointed to see how poorly the 4CX1000A ranked amongst
the competitors.  IIRC, I think it was the absolute worst in the bunch.

I got a couple of these things (with sockets) very cheaply a little while ago
(well maybe longer than that ) and hoped to build something nice for HF out of
them.  I planned to try a grid-driven AB1 configuration at max anode potential
with the best screen/bias regulation I could come up with but based on that
chart.... it doesn't look like the most wonderful of things to try to do.

Anyway to make these run more satisfactorially?  Cathode drive /w NFB?  Grounded
screen (float the cathode below ground) Anyone with any experience and
distortion figures better than in that Eimac chart I found?

Thanks

--
Randall D. DuCharme (Radio AD5GB)