[Amps] Henry 2K Classic X

Tony King - W4ZT amps at w4zt.com
Sat Mar 19 14:08:53 EST 2005

R.Measures wrote:

> <snip>
>
>Bingo.  The arcs I (foolishly at age 23) drew off of the half-wave
>anode-resonator with a pencil in my 4cx250R 432MHz amplifier were
>incredibly lengthy and strangely purplish, even though the peak
>potential was only c. 1500v-pk.   I thought -- Welcome to the wacky
>world of UHF, Rich.

<snip>
I think we've all done foolish things!  Don't you suppose that with your
pencil you may have started the arc at a much shorter distance and then
pulled the pencil away maintaining the arc in the ionized path?  Of
course that's much different than the arc starting at a distance
impossible for the available voltage to cross initially by itself.

73, Tony W4ZT