[Amps] Measuring RF Power

Tony King - W4ZT amps at w4zt.com
Mon Mar 21 11:53:31 EST 2005

Harold B. Mandel wrote:

><snip> PEP is different
>than RMS, and RMS is different than Average. <snip>

It may be worth mentioning that RMS is the usual method of defining a DC
equivalent which, given a pure waveform, will be about the same as the
average. With distorted waveforms RMS will not define the average
properly. I think that's where Harold was headed when pointing out that
measurement of the power in those systems is a completely different
animal than measuring our amateur amp power and requires the use of more
complex and expensive power measurement tools.

Thanks for the glimpse into the new world Harold!

73, Tony W4ZT