[Amps] Bird Element Calibration?

Paul Whatton paul.whatton at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 22 04:44:40 EST 2005

Gee guys this Bird 43 accuracy debate is so sad. And it misses the
point. In countries around the World radio amateurs knew they were
buying the best. The certainty that Bird 43 with a 2.5kW slug in the
feeder brought them made their station better and actually helped them
work that DX!

And now you are trying to destroy all those dreams! Have you all no shame?

The 43 comes from the modernist school of design, a time when things
were right, shouldn't be questioned and there was no uncertainty. Just
look at it, that big round meter and grey industrial case just oozes
authority. It is irrelevant whether a Bird 43 works or not, it is an
icon, symbolising certainty and American greatness. Anyone who owns one
has the best, no question.

I love my Bird 43 for those reasons. Just as I love my British 1959
Acoustical Quad II tube audio amplifiers. They too were the "best" you
could buy, a symbol of a Great Britain. The designer of the Bird and the
Quad II must surely have been the same person? Hey! They are even both
painted military grey.

I paid GBP60.00 (about $100) for my secondhand Bird 43 at a hamfest. Of
course I could have bought a new SWR/power meter for that price, and it
would have been junk. Instead I have an art artifact that I'd be proud
to put on my mantlepiece.

Anyway I suppose the good thing that will come out of this debate is
that lots of previously content Bird owners will realise that they don't
own the best any more. I guess anyone who can't live with the
uncertainty will now have to rush out and buy an Agilent to be sure they
really have 2kW and not actually 1.8kW. Then they'll be sure their
station is up to spec and they can work the DX in the future.

So, if you are about to trash your 43 please let me know. I need a load
more slugs. Those of us who truely understand what a BIrd 43 is will be
delighted to take your junk off your hands.

73 Paul G4DCV