[Amps] Measuring RF Power

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 17:53:21 EST 2005

When adding PEP to the mix it is vital that average power be understood
properly. Best to put RMS power out of mind as it is good for nothing
but confusion.

Reading the FCC definition of PEP it goes something like:
Peak envelope power is the AVERAGE power in one RF cycle at the crest of
the modulation envelope.

That means if you transmit a 1500 watt average power cw signal, your PEP
is also 1500 watts. If your peaks hit 1500 watts on voice your pep is
1500 watts.

Imagine the confusion trying to figure that out if you called the 1500
watt cw signal RMS power!

73
Gary  K4FMX