[Amps] Measuring RF Power

Steve Thompson g8gsq at ic24.net
Sat Mar 26 11:12:08 EST 2005

R. Measures wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2005, at 3:05 AM, Steve Thompson wrote:
>
>> R. Measures wrote:

>>> So what does one find by multiplying V-rms by I-rms?
>> Pmean (or average).
>
> Is that not the heat produced in the R a.k.a. P-rms ?
As David said, yes it's the power, no it's not the rms power.

Vrms is the (square)Root of the Mean of the Squares (of the Voltage
samples). When you work out Vrms^2 in order to work out the power, you are
squaring the squareroot, so the r in rms disappears and you are left with
the Mean of the Squares (of the Voltage samples) --- (V^2)mean or
(V^2)average, if you prefer. (V^2)average/R = Paverage.

Steve