[Amps] Amplifier classes in solid state

G3rzp@aol.com G3rzp at aol.com
Mon Mar 28 02:46:56 EST 2005

In a message dated 27/03/2005 18:57:15 GMT Standard Time, craxd1 at ezwv.com
writes:

To me, I  cant see any difference in the action of a triode or a transistor
if the  transistor is biased correctly.

The main difference is the way the collector/drain/plate current varies  with
collector/drain/plate voltage for fixed bias. The solid state devices are
nearer to pentode characteristics in this respect - until you get to sub-micron
CMOS run in weak inversion, where they are nearer triodes. That condition
certainly doesn't apply to power amplifiers - which in this case, means anything
 over 100 microwatts! (Yes, I do mean microwatts!)

73

Peter G3RZP