[Amps] Solid State HF High power linear amps

Prasad Agrahar prasad.agrahar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 04:55:06 EST 2005

Group

Once a very active ham, I have been inactive for many years. I have
started dreaming about getting back into this exciting hobby. Signs
are clear that the day is fast approaching. I was a home brewer and I
will still be one. My wish is to gather parts to build a decent HF
high power linear soon.

That made me wonder whether I must focus on building a tube (valve)
amp or is there any other choice? Tubes are not made any longer. Tubes
that are available in the market are old leftovers and soon, there
will be no more.

I noted that discussion on this group is mostly about tube (valve)
amps. But it is fact that all commercial rigs are all fully solid
state and with transistor finals. If so, why no one talks about
building high power transistor amps? Is any one working on home
brewing project? Is it the cost of transistors or is it the technology
that makes it difficult?

Thanks for any inputs,

-Prasad VU2AEA
Manila Philippines (I work here)