[Amps] MLA-2500B Question

Daniel Hileman n9wx at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 07:33:21 EST 2005

Hi Everyone,
I have an opportunity to buy a Dentron MLA-2500B for a very resasonable
price and it still does full output on most bands. over a kilowatt or near a
kilowatt on all bands with only 50 watts drive. I can either buy this or an
AL-811H for about the same price. I had an 811H before and loved it, I was
stupid and sold it when I went to college, Now I want it back, but the
greater power of the MLA-2500B is VERY tempting! Hi Hi.
My question is, with the 8875 tubes VERY expensive or almost impossible to
get, would the 811h be  better perhaps for me, especially  since I'm fairly
new to amps? I know there is a conversion to other tubes, but not sure I
have the expertise to do this, and probably couldn't afford to have it done
unless some local "expert"  ham helps.

I need opinions of this amp, and this situation.

Thanks,
Daniel N9WX