[Amps] Solid State HF High power linear amps

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Tue Mar 29 04:43:35 EST 2005

Sam,

The 2SC2879's are what I'm getting at and the MRF-454, 2SD1466, etc.. These are not what's needed for a high power amp and to me ought to be used for no more than 2 or 4 if your going to run them. When the big ones are built using these, there's never any filtering and they bleed a far piece each way. There's only one way to clean them up and that's filtering plus running them at the right class. Also, not overdriving them which happens a lot. Most of the junk being made with these semis are ran class C and if they're ran as advertised AB, they dont even regulate the bias. Now I agree that a good clean amp can be made with semis but it takes way more than the amps in mention. These are the ones I'm speaking of being dirty amps.

It's a better idea as you say to talk about IMD and harmonics differently instead of using the term splatter. They are beasts of a different type all together. Both together make a dirty amp.

Best,

Will