[Amps] Soft Tubes?

Richard Measures r at somis.org
Tue Mar 29 10:51:14 EST 2005

On Mar 29, 2005, at 7:34 AM, TexasRF at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/28/2005 10:54:45 P.M. Central Standard Time,
> W4EF at dellroy.com writes:
>
> Good  point, Gerald. A more likely explanation for the low efficiency
> on 10  meters might be a combination of higher tank circuit losses
> and wattmeter  calibration error.
>
> Still, I hear people talking about "soft" tubes a  lot. I can
> understand
> broadcast pulls have low filament emission, but aside  from that
> are there any other mechanisms which will result in  diminished
> output capacity from a tube like the  8874?

Since gold poisons electron emission, 8874s that have gold meltballs
stuck to the cathode's emissive coating exhibit lesser emission.
Fortunately, gold meltballs can be dislodged by tapping vertically on
top of the anode cap with the flat side of a small ball-peen hammer.
However, the tube should be kept base down at all times thereafter to
prevent the loose meltballs from getting on the anode-grid insulator
and causing a HV-chassis gnd flashover.

cheerz, Mike