[Amps] RMS VS Peak VS Average power and the Bird 43 wattmeter

TexasRF@aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Tue Mar 29 11:24:05 EST 2005

Unfortunately my Bird 43 has no peak reading option. It did have the option
once upon a time but I got tired of it eating 9v batteries and removed it.

I have also "discovered" that the screen voltage stability has a pretty
large effect on power output. Just as the plate voltage can sag under load, so
can the screen voltage, resulting in lower than expected plate current. G3SEK
figured all this out years ago when he designed his screen regulator board. I
guess I am a slow learner!

The current screen voltage setup shows about 5% more screen voltage with a
string of dots compared to full carrier. Hence, the question about string of
dots power reading vs. full carrier power reading. Even the string of dots
voltage is lower than the design goal so a new G2 power supply is definitely
warranted.

73,
K5GW

In a message dated 3/29/2005 10:10:04 A.M. Central Standard Time,
r at somis.org writes:

On  Mar 28, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Gary Schafer wrote:

> If it is a peak  reading bird it should show the same as with carrier.

... provided that  the anode PS is regulated and one takes a reading
before the coax  melts.