[Amps] MLA-2500B Question

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Wed Mar 30 10:06:45 EST 2005

       Using an automatic antenna tuner and shunt capacitance to ground at
the cathode is an interesting idea. I have not considered  it. However, if
the capacitive reactance is a fraction of the tubes input impedance it
should work. If it is 1/5 of the tube's cathode input impedance the antenna
tuner, not knowing the difference between an amplifier and an antenna,
should offer the appropriate impedance to the amplifier to provide a
conjugate match. That is the antenna tuners output resistance will equal
the input resistance of the amplifier and the tuner's output reactance will
be equal to that of the amplifier's input but inductive. Together they
become resonant with a Q of about 5. As long as the inductance (tuner) is a
short distance away ,less than 1/4 wavelength, should make no difference.

73
Bill wa4lav