[Amps] Caught another

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Tue May 3 22:14:25 EDT 2005

A term for "screwed up".....

>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
For the web comic, see Faux Pas (web comic).

A faux pas (fo-pa) is a violation of accepted, although unwritten, social rules. Faux pas are very culture-specific; what is considered good manners in one culture can be considered a horrible faux pas in another. For example, in [English language|English-speaking]] Western countries it is usually considered good manners to bring a bottle of wine when coming to someone's house for dinner. In France, however, this is considered insulting as it seems to imply that the dinner hosts are unable to provide their own good wine; instead, bringing flowers to the hostess is never a faux pas, with the exception of some Asian countries where you need to be very careful which kind of flowers you bring.

The expression come from French: false step. Interestingly, 'faux pas' is not a common expression in French, it is high-level language. It is occasionally employed to describe a physical loss of balance or the general mistakes (for instance: mes faux pas dans la vie, the mistakes I made in my life); but it is hardly used in the figurative meaning applied to it in English. If you mention faux pas in this context during conversation in France, your interlocutor may think you are making a slight grammatical mistake with faut pas, colloquial pronunciation of il ne faut pas, meaning must not in English. To express faux pas' English meaning, the French usually would say gaffe, erreur.

Note that faux pas is both the singular and plural, pronounced identically in both cases. A common mistake is to add a /z/ sound when referring to the plural.

Best,

Will