[Amps] eBay

Floyd Sense fsense at copper.net
Wed May 4 08:03:44 EDT 2005

The seller can NOT see the maximum bid that you entered, but CAN see the
amounts of the actual bids.  For example, if the current bid is at $18.00
(and the minimum increment is $1.00)and no one's maximum bid exceeds that,
and you come along and bid $50.00 then the seller will see your bid as
$19.00.

If someone was bidding for the seller (or the seller himself under a
different ID), it would not be difficult to predict your probable response
to a bid increase based on your previous reaction to being outbid.  As you
probably know, the eBay process ressembles a real live auction only in that
there is bidding.  Real auctioneers do not permit "sniping" and shill
bidding can result in bodily harm!  The only way to protect yourself is to
decide up front what the item is worth, bid that amount, and check back when
the auction is over.

K8AC