[Amps] Another Plate Transformer Question

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri May 6 03:36:28 EDT 2005

Don,

The closest stock lam I could find has a 1-3/4" center leg. At 8 inches deep, that would give 8 X 1.75 = 14 sq. inches. Working the reverse formula;

P = ( a / 0.16 ) ^2

P = ( 14 / 0.16 ) ^2

87.5 ^2 = 7,656.25 watts or round it off to 7500-7600 watts at 12 kilogauss and 60 Hz.

To check ourselves;

a = 0.16 X sqrt of P

sqrt of 7,656.25 = 87.5

a = 0.16 X 87.5 = 14 sq inches.

A rough TPV is 5 / a ;

5 / 14 = .357 or about 3/8 turns per volt.

Keep in mind this is a ball park figure and would have to be checked using the long formula but will be close.

Hope this helps some.

Best,

Will