[Amps] Air

Will Matney craxd1 at ezwv.com
Fri May 6 14:53:21 EDT 2005

Henry,

Back when I had my machine shop, I had a large compressor with an upright tank. I forget how many gallons but was a big one with I think an 5 or 8 HP motor, and the same size as in most garages. It ran anything you would hook to it and then some. Here in my home shop, I wanted something small as possible to run maybe an air screwdriver, a small die grinder, maybe a cut-off wheel, air ratchet, and possibly a small inpact to use with chassis punches. That's the slickest way I know of punching without using muscle on large punches over 1 inch. I did buy an electric impact yesterday for a real deal. Big Lots has one made by Nikota power tools which are a good tough tool, for a whole $19.99! Anywhere on the net I've seen them is at least $59.00 to $69.00 each. If anyone ever wanted one, right now is the time to visit Big Lots before theyr'e gone. This one has a 1/2" drive and we tried it on some stubborn lug nuts where it zipped them right off and didn't bog down. I can say it has all the umph you need being electric. The model number on this one is a 01230 by Nikota. It has 2700 inpacts per minute, 240 foot pounds of torque. The only fault is the weight as it's heavy. That's the reason I like air where theyr'e light weight.

I've never used an air screwdriver so I'm wondering how they compare to a rechargable like we all use now. I have 3-4 of these rechargables around I use, and they all work good. However, you have to keep them charged where an air driver would be ready anytime. The small compressors with a 2 HP motor say they'll run a small die grinder or cut-off tool, but I'm wondering how long as the tank aint that big. I would think the compressor would be kicking on about all the time running one, I dont know. The pressure and CFM matches but the storage capacity aint that big. I can pick one of these up for around $89.00 to $99.00, but dont want to waste money if it wont do what I want it to.

I never thought about using it for painting, but I may since it was mentioned. It would be one way to paint a chassis professionally. What I'm setting up to do is build custom HV power supplies along with transformers. The chassis would need painting along with some fabrication.

Thanks for everyones replies, it has helped in what I should look for.

Best,

Will