[Amps] Dummy Load

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Wed May 25 18:17:05 EDT 2005

Mark Marsden wrote:
> Hi Stefan & Will
>
> That's very interesting to me. I'm looking at a possible 50R 40dB attenuator based on the new thick-film-on-steel planar resistors by TT-electronics/Welwyn. They aimed at the automotive dynamic braking & welding industry, with a very low £/kW ratio.
>
> Farnell part numbers are
> 465-9569  50R 2-8kW £13.93
> 465-9600  50R 5-16kW £23.52
>
> It'll be interesting to see if the meander-line construction can be matched to give a good return loss across the HF spectrum.
>
> Best 73 Mark G4AXX
If you do build an attenuator, I would suggest using the minimum
attenuaton you can get away with using the lower quality resistors, and
making the last 6~10 dB or so from a decent quality attenuator. That way
any test kit you connect will see 50 Ohms over a very wide range of
frequencies. It means your attenator has an input and an output
terminal, but that is common - just don't connect it back to front!!

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/