[Amps] [BULK] - Drake L-4B PSU burned resistor

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 1 11:04:35 EST 2005

Hal,

I fixed the rings arcing on a big open frame, 500 HP synchroness motor in ACF that way once. When you would apply the 4160 Vac on the stator, it acted like a big transformer and caused an arc on the DC slip rings, before the DC was applied when it go up to speed. I put a shunt with one of those resistor across the rings (in a cage) so when the contactor closed, it threw out the resistor, and applied the 250 Vdc to the rings. Worked like a charm, and saved me from having to crawl down in that pit to change brushes, and fix the slip rings every week. That had been going on since the big air compressor it ran had been installed in the late 40's! I never could understand why nobody had ever thought to do that before?

Best,

Will