[Amps] shield an RF deck ?

kenw2dtc kenw2dtc at comcast.net
Tue Nov 1 16:50:44 EST 2005

Thanks for the reply Steve, I appreciate your comments.

> kenw2dtc wrote:
>> Is there any pressing reason to put sides and top on an RF deck?  My
>> current amp runs decent power and I don't get into anything (TV, phone or
>> stereo etc.). I would like to build another amp in a locked rack, which
>> is closed on all sides, do I need to shield the deck?

 If the rack isn't specifically designed for rf purposes, you can't rely
 on the rf screening properties. Many have fully painted panels, and rely
 on wired connections for electrical safety only. The radiation from
 these can be surprisingly high  - especially at vhf where the panels
 become resonant antennas. If you do the screening, you're in control.

 Having said that, I see commercial ham amplifiers where there's minimal
 internal screening, the panels are painted/powder coated and the
 connection between them is tenuous. Beats me how they meet the EMC regs
 to be sold legally in the EU.

 Steve