[Amps] Drake L-4B PSU burned resistor

Alan Ibbetson alan at g3xaq.demon.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 18:09:34 EST 2005

In message <ac2be72401684c739d03a4198d0ddd80 at somis.org>, R. Measures
<r at somis.org> writes
>The first things I would look at is the tubes, testing them for
>filament-grid breakdown potential.

No hi-pot tester here, but seeing as the valves are somewhat low on
emission I might invest in a pair of new ones on my trip to CA next
week.

>   Next, I would measure the R of the VHF suppressor resistors.

They measure OK.

>This requires a larger resistor - such as a 10W surge protection type
>of approximately 10 to 15 ohms.

The 10 or 14 watt ones commonly available from the big UK supply houses
are wire wound vitreous enamel types, with a maximum voltage rating of
only 500 or 750v. I guess I'll need several of these in series, not so
much for the power rating as for a breakdown voltage safety margin.
Messy, but just doable within the rather cramped confines of the L-4B
PSU.

Thanks very much for all the helpful replies I've had, both on and off
the list, and for the several offers of components. The ham spirit ain't
dead yet!

--

Cheers,

Alan G3XAQ