[Amps] Grounded Screen 4CX1500B

G0RUZ_Conrad conrad at g0ruz.com
Mon Nov 7 07:58:56 EST 2005

Shawn I operated the 2m amp for several years on eme. There was a problem
with the 3rd harmonic which appeared to be a result of cavity resonances in
the output compartment. I cured it with a 100 ohm large carbon resistor
placed on one wall of the cavity, grounded at one end. At the time I was
mystified by the suggestion from a broadcast engineering friend but it
worked, presumably by absorbing harmonic energy circulating around the
output compartment.

That may be anecdotal but it actually happened  :-)

73

Conrad G0RUZ

PS I can recommend grounded screen operation, the amp was very stable once I
had cured the harmonic problem.