[Amps] L4 power supply problem?

Jason Buchanan jsb at digistar.com
Sun Nov 13 15:40:56 EST 2005

hi,

I have an L4 with its original power supply.  Been working fine for a
long time.

Today, I turn it on and after a few minutes there is a large pop and
blue spark from near the HV interlock, or located behind the rear tube.

The .82 ohm resistor fried - I replaced it with a new one and carefully
inspected here and there in the amplifier cabinet.  I couldn't find
anything that burned near the interlock.

I powered it back on in CW low voltage position and the plate voltage
reads around 1300V.  On SSB it reads around 2000V, maybe a little less.

That was all the experimentation I wished to try.  I opened the L4-PS
and looked around but can't find anything on the top side that looks
burned or stressed.

The thing I noticed that was peculiar was that when I powered the L4
off, the plate voltage would begin to decrease as expected, but then
ROSE about 200 volts and then slowly decreased again as expected.  When
I took the amplifier cover off there was still a bit of voltage in the
HV supply, around 150V on the meter.  I used a pair of alligator clips
to ground the cabinet to the top of the plate choke and then removed the
clips - what was odd was that the voltage rose up to about 100V - when I
grounded it the meter read 0 again.  When I removed the clip it rose to
about 50V.  Finally I put the clip on and left it on and it finally
stayed at 0 with the clips off.

Has anyone seen this before?  Any idea what is wrong...  and what I can
do to repair it?

73 Jason N1SU