[Amps] Question about safety ground connection

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sun Nov 13 18:09:28 EST 2005

> "0" pin is considered a safety ground pin or a neutral pin. If it's
> neutral,
> then do I have to run a separate safety ground wire back to the AC mains
> entrance?

No current should normally flow through the ground wire except in the event
of a fault condition.  120VAC current in a 240VAC configuration usually
results from the manufacturer's use of 120VAC blowers or fans and really
requires a dedicated neutral in addition to the ground wire.   Some early
amp manufacturers incorrectly used ground as a neutral and vice-versa with
one amp chassis connection.

What confuses most folks is the fact that neutral and the ground are tied
together at the same point at the load center.  That's the only point where
their paths should cross.  It begins making sense when you conduct "what-if"
scenarios in the event of a common neutral/ground wiring fault.  It is
possible in the event of a fault that 120VAC current for the blower in these
older amps finds its path through PL-259 and other grounded chassis
connectors, making the chassis "hot."

Paul, W9AC