[Amps] L4 power supply problem?

Jim Kearman jkearman at att.net
Mon Nov 14 08:41:16 EST 2005

> Got to find some filter caps, diodes and possibly some new bleeders.

I used CDE 381LX electrolytics. Rated at 105 deg C, high-ripple, small. I recapped an SB-230 by making a Lucite plate to go over the holes where the originals were mounted, boring holes in it, and epoxying the caps in place. I probably could have epoxied them to the original phenolic plates if I wanted to cut out the old caps. The 450-V 381LQ caps are 30-35 mm diam, length varies from 40-50 mm for common values. They run about $8-12 apiece from Mouser. You could save a little money by using 381LQs, which are smaller but not rated for the same longevity.

For diodes, I would use 1N4058, 3-amp, 1kPIV, about 17 cents apiece from Mouser. WW resistors aren't expensive, either. The Ohmite 20-series 7-watt vitreous-enamel-coated wirewounds will handle 450 V. 1.25-inches long, 0.4-inch diameter.

Be glad your failure didn't take out the power transformer, which is what happened to my SB-230. Then again, rebuilding the supply got me thinking about building a fatter amp that covered 160.

73,

Jim, KR1S