[Amps] Aluminum alloys for panels?

Jim Kearman jkearman at att.net
Mon Nov 14 23:47:11 EST 2005

I need to make two panels and a baseplate for an amp. I could cut down 19" panels but would like to find a cheaper way. Does anyone know what alloy of aluminum is used for rack panels? I was thinking it was 6061 but I can't find it in .125-inch thickness. The hardest I can find in that thickness is 5052. This link compares them for hardness and machinibility:

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/sma.cfm

The baseplate is going to be about 17"x17" and has to hold a 33-lb transformer and the rest of the amp, so it needs to be fairly stiff. I'd like the panels to be stiff as well, especially the back, where I'll be hanging a heavy blower. Is 5052 okay? Thanks.

73,

Jim, KR1S