[Amps] Question about safety ground connection

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 15 11:08:08 EST 2005

Bill,

What I always did was either use a dedicated 3 wire 240 Vac plug, or used a 4 wire cord for a chassis ground. Welding machines use a 3 wire like the 200 amp buzz boxes, but for amps, if going to pick up 120 Vac too, I used a 4 wire cord. This being black, red, white, and green. Black, and red for 240, black to white 120, and green to chassis ground. I use 4 wire romex to run to the recepticle for 240 in the home, the same you use for a 4 way switched lamp setup in a hallway, etc. I mainly use the 4 wire so the white is never hot.

Best,

Will