[Amps] Aluminum alloys for panels?

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 15 18:08:32 EST 2005

You don't have to use a thick plate either. you can get by with something like 0.06" thick. What you can do is add stiffners made from aluminum angle like L 3/4", etc. Just run them across the full length of the plate on each side of the transformer. The one flange makes a rib stiffner which will be stronger that 1/8" thick material, and weigh a lot less. The best thing to do is look at the way commercial amps are made like Henry, Alpha, QRO, etc. They don't use either hard or very thick material. the use stiffeners like I'm speaking of. It's all in the layout and design of the chassis. I've designed a bunch of them and used to do this for a living (IE: engineering).

Best,

Will