[Amps] Question about safety ground connection

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Nov 15 23:13:08 EST 2005

Doug,

Using a SPST switch like we use to control a ceiling lamp, it only has a brass, and silver screw. So, the black from the switch, on the switches brass screw, has to mate with the brass screw or black wire from the lamp. The lamps silver screw, or white wire has to connect to the main white return going back to the breaker box. This leaves you with a white to the switch, and a black hot from the breaker. Those two off colors tie together to make the circuit. That's the only Instance that I know they allow mixing colors so you don't have to buy 14-3, or 12-3 wire and use a red as hot. You can mark that white with tape, but any electrician who looks into a lamps junction box knows the black and white tied together is the main hot. Anywhere else though it's illegal to do this as you would think the white was neutral. It's not required to mark with tape, or a paint pen, but it's a good thing to do if someone doesn't know this is done all the time.

Best,

Will