[Amps] Ultimate safety for house wiring

Bill Turner dezrat1242 at ispwest.com
Fri Nov 18 11:52:32 EST 2005

You have all indulged me regarding my quest for the safest way to do
120/240 volt wiring and I appreciate that.

Looking ahead to the distant future, here is something I would like
everyone, including the NEC, to consider: Shockproof houses.

It is well known that the human nervous system does not sense an
electric shock if the frequency is high enough. Most of us have
received "RF burns" at some time in our ham careers and perhaps most
of us have marveled at the fact that even though it burns the flesh,
it does not shock at all. The implications for eliminating death by
electrocution are obvious.

The technology already exists for houses to be wired with relatively
high frequency electricity. While the national electric grid should
remain at a low for reasons of efficiency, there is no reason, other
than cost, why houses should use such a dangerous frequency. Given
mass production, a solid state frequency converter could be built
into every house to change the 50/60 Hz source to a frequency not
dangerous to humans. Perhaps something around 1 kHz would do, or even
higher. Research would have to be done to find the optimum.

In addition to the shockproofing, other advantages exist too. For
one, transformers in equipment could be made tiny by comparison to
50/60 Hz versions, saving money, raw materials and reducing size and
weight. The need for a "safety ground" would be eliminated, although
a ground might still be needed to prevent RF burns, depending on the
equipment, but it would no longer be a safety issue. Even this could
be handled by going back to the two-wire polarized plug where one
conductor is grounded. If that plug were miswired, it would be only
an annoyance, not a hazard, and easily corrected.

I realize there would be lots of opposition to this new system,
mostly on cost factors, but think of a house where nobody would ever
be electrocuted. I believe someday it will come to be.

Comments welcome.

73, Bill W6WRT