[Amps] Amp Power Cord Wiring

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 18 14:41:58 EST 2005

Here are some excerpts out of my amp manual:

4. Connect the green conductor in the
Alpha 87A power cord only to the
power source neutral or ground.
Connecting the green wire to a
"hot" line is almost certain to cause
immediate damage. Triple check
your wiring before plugging in!

6. Solidly bond all station equipment
chassis together. Heavy braid, such
as the outer conductor of RG-8/U
coaxial cable, is recommended for
the purpose. This is important for
personal and equipment safety as
well as to avoid RF feedback.

I hooked it up this way in 1995 and have had no trouble so far.

>From the many posts about using modern 4-wire romex, I am wondering what
benefit, if any, it would have in my station.  I recently acquired a new 87A
and it has the same 14 gauge 3 wire power cord.  I have yet to run a new
circuit for it, but the electrician is scheduled to add one next week.  Any
important question to ask of the electrician? Thanks in advance for your
comments.

73, Keith NM5