[Amps] hit a wall on bi-directional couplers

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Sun Nov 20 04:15:23 EST 2005

Transformer coupled broad-band directional couplers are notoriously difficult to construct.

The reasons for this are that you have conflicting goals in the transformers,
one is that a high secondary reactance is necessary to have the proper phase relationships
at low frequencies, but this makes the self-resonance frequency of the windings lower.

This changes the phase behaviour at the high end of the frequency range, which manifests itself
as rapidly decreasing directivity as the frequency increases.

Only by very careful selection of core materials and equally careful attention to winding layouts
to minimize stray capacitances, a larger usable frequency range than 4 octaves can be realized.

G4FGQ has made a program http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp/swrmeter.exe whose program notes
discusses the question in some detail, also Sabin's "Single Sideband Systems and Circuits" has a
discussion in chapter 12.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM