[Amps] 4CX800 & GS35B

Mike k4gmh at arrl.net
Mon Nov 28 06:11:18 EST 2005

Will the 4CX800 take 3100 V DC continuous?

The specifications for the 4CX800 has a 2000 V continuous (anode)
limit.  Some schematics for 4CX800 amps. show more than 2000 V on the
anode.  The Alpha 99 runs ~2700V on the anodes before being keyed, so
I've been told.

Reason for the inquiry is the 4CX1600B tube in my homemade amp looks
to be bad and would like to replace it with a tetrode.  Also, looking
for something a bit less expensive than the "new" 4CX1600B.   A pair
of 4CX800s seem to be a natural replacement with just minor
adjustments to the amp circuit.  However, my power supply furnishes
3100 V and then goes to around 2900 V when keyed.

If the 4CX800 will not take the 3100 V will the triode, GS35B, handle
the 3100 V?   Trying to keep the tube/socket cost within "reason" as
another amp will need to be built soon for the second station in a
SO2R set-up and want both amps. to have the same tube.

         73,
         Mike, K4GMH