[Amps] Kon-Tiki

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Sat Sep 3 03:50:45 EDT 2005

If I remember the exhibition in the Oslo Kon-Tiki museum correctly,
at least one of the transmitters was the British "suitcase set" that was known as "Berit"
in the Norwegian resistance movement.  It was a very simple CO-PA unit
that was either mains or battery operated, and had an extremely wide-range
output circuit that could match literally anything. (A picture can be found
on http://fykse.dnsalias.com/radio/nrhf/ at about the middle of the page).

Both  Kon-Tiki radio operators, Knut Haugland (LA3KY) and Torstein Raaby,
had been clandestine radio operators during the war.
Knut Haugland was instrumental in blowing-up the Rjukan heavy-water plant
in 1943 and Torstein Raaby advised the RAF of the location of the battleship Tirpitz.

After Kon-Tiki Torstein Raaby did not lose his appetite for adventures, and finally
died of a heart condition in 1964 as radio operator in an expedition that attempted to reach
the North Pole on ski.

73/
Karl-Arne
SM0AOM