[Amps] Project Boxes...

HAROLD B MANDEL ka1xo at juno.com
Mon Sep 12 12:58:12 EDT 2005

Dear Dino,

Rack mount work is easier than enclosure. You can use flat plate or sheet
stock and drill the front panel accordingly.

I would suggest side rails in the rack enclosure to support the weight of
the
chassis so nothing rests on the front panel.

The flat plates may be joined to form 90-degree angles with aluminum
1/8" angle metal with fasteners in numerous places. Using a larger
diameter
and thickness angle extrusion for the "drawer-slides" on the bottom of
the
chassis will allow you to use socket-head screws so as not to need
flat-head
countersinking.

Flat plates can be ordered to exact dimensions, which removes the task of
cutting stuff on a straight line.

The only rub is that now with the bump in energy prices, corresponding
metal prices are through the roof. Not a good time to be metal working on
a budget.

Another source of rack enclosures are cellular provider contractors. The
cellular industry is in a major rework mode and a whole bunch of racks
and associated equipment are being scrapped all around the U.S.

If I wasn't in a hotel 300 miles from home I might have started to
collect
junk. Who knows, I might yet!

'73,

Hal