[Amps] MTBF Thread...

sccook1@cox.net sccook1 at cox.net
Wed Sep 14 12:07:28 EDT 2005

It would seem to me that the 1000 devices for one hour approach would be great for determining infant mortality, but have little bearing on useful life predictions.

Also, when devices are subjected to steady state life at elevated temperatures (increased temp = increased activation energy = bad things happen at an accelerated rate; e.g., purple plague and Kirkendall voids, metal migration, tin whiskers, et al.) it is actually a fairly benign environment -- at least from a mechanical perspective.  Seems a better approach would be to add constant vibration and liquid to liquid temperature shock while the device is electrically exercised over its full parameter set.  You could also throw in some constant acceleration and mechanical shock, and what the heck... some excursion over worst case temp-altitude, salt fog / spray -- then shoot it with a .45ACP.  For desert, ESD sensitivity testing and viola -- if it makes it through all of that, you can mark it JAN-S!

But you have to be a very evil person to subject hardware to this kind of testing... Oh yeah, and flammability testing, die shear, tensile strength and elongation, Particle Impact Noise Detection, launch shock, and...

-Steve (WG7K)