[Amps] Alpha releases New Amp 9500

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Sep 17 00:39:08 EDT 2005

John Adkins wrote:
> A number of us are still using Commodore and Atari computers.  Should Alpha--the avant-garde
> amplifier company (their suggestion)--expand the new computer to accommodate them, too?

You are missing the point.

If the only criteria is working with current PCs, then USB would be the
way to go. That is why scanners, printers and other low-cost items use USB.

In the case of an expensive amp, you probably want the interface to be
around in 15 or more years time. It is hard to predict what ones will be
and what ones will not, but  but this newsgruup post

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/sci.electronics.misc/tree/browse_frm/thread/44449994adeb90fd/79bd3542af1f2f35?rnum=1&hl=en&q=rs232+invented&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fsci.electronics.misc%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F44449994adeb90fd%2Fb1493b2213522e1e%3Flnk%3Dst%26q%3Drs232+invented%26rnum%3D11%26hl%3Den%26#doc_b1493b2213522e1e

claims RS-232 was around *50 years* before USB. Experience tells us
computer interfaces come and go quickly. So it seems likely that if
RS-232 has been around 60 or so years, it is likely to be around another
15 or more.

> What
> they're doing is not good marketing.

You might well be right on that. That is a very different issue.

> If Alpha is making a state-of-the-art amplifier, I would
> expect it to be state-of-the-art.  I don't believe that it should require hams with today's
> technology to retrofit their computers to allow serial ports.

As I say the problem with selecting an interface on a bit of expensive
equipment you expect to last is not selecting one for today (that is
easy) but selecting one likely to be around in 15 or more years time.

Serial has a good chance of being such an interface.

Other possible candidates would be

1) Ethernet
.
2) SCSI (invented around the 1980's and still available on new
equipment) Very high performance, with no indication it is going to die
any time soon.

3) HP-IB/GPIB/IEE488 (invented in the 1960's to control instruments) and
still available on new equipment).

However, both SCSI and GPIB are expensive to implement. And given their
performance is not needed, and neither have lasted as long as RS-232, it
is hard to see them being an ideal choice.

Ethernet might be sensible, but serial seems the lowest risk option.

> Regarding USB troubles--they're there, but so are the troubles with serial ports.  Particularly
> with IRQ assignments.

IRQ assinments is a PC (as in IBM PC) issue. I have serial ports on this
computer and can't select IRQ, DMA or anything else. It just "works".
Always, every time.

This computer I am using is too old to support USB, but has serial.
Unlike the Atari you speak of it is not an old 8-bit relic, but one with
quad 64-bit processors.

Yes, despite what the computer indusry might try to tell you otherwise,
64-bit processors have been around a very long time, and were around
well before USB.

> I prefer the USB.

I doubt you will say that in 15 years time. But perhaps then you will
want to "upgrade" the amplifier yet again.

> Why bother with an upgrade if it ain't an upgrade.

I think the main point about an amp would be its RF performance. Not how
many flashing lights it has, or whether it uses the latest fastest
interface.

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB