[Amps] RS-232 and stuff....

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Sep 17 21:37:29 EDT 2005

thaxton at ptgroup.com wrote:
> Anyway you cut it....we're supposed to be techie's right...:)  I really don't
> care what interface an amp, a scope, a phone has.  I've got the
> adapters/cables to handle it.  When in doubt...you can most always find
> an rs-232 port on equipment, and USB on newer gear. My IBM
> thinkpad has ports for everything, usb, rs-232, firewire....it's even got a
> parallel printer port...:)
>
> Don/N0FGK

I think this has been beaten into the ground somewhat. It's clear some
like USB, its clear Agilent/Tektronix are using it, it is also clear a
lot of professional kit (including some from Agilent) is not using it,
preferring to stick to RS-232 and/or GPIB.

Adapters are fine in theory, but tend to need drivers, which tend to
work on the latest version of Windoze, but perhaps won't work on Windoze
(if it exists) in 15 years time. Then you might find it is hard to get
an adapter.

RS-232 requires no software on the computer beyond a simple terminal
program, Which means it could be used on DOS, Windoze, Linux, VMS.
Whilst its a bit unlikely anyone would like to use DOS or VMS, the fact
it works with old technologies as well as new, without requiring any
drivers, probably means it is more future proof from a software point of
view.

Personally I like GPIB and RS-232. If I need to (and I don't see why one
would need to for such a simple thing as reading a few bits from an
amp), I can write my own software quite easily.

No doubt this argument will be settled finally in about 15 years time.
At that point, the optimum choice of interface will be easy to
determine. Perhaps until then, there is not much more to add.

--
David Kirkby,
G8WRB

Please check out http://www.g8wrb.org/